Top seed Diego Schwartzman suffered an early exit at the Swedish Open, but there was better news for Marco Cecchinato in Croatia, as he continued his fine form on clay.
Italian Simone Bolelli swiftly ended Schwartzman's hopes of success in Bastad, battling back from the brink of losing the opening set to secure a 7-6 (10-8), 6-3 victory.
Schwartzman led 5-2 at a stage in the first, while he also failed to convert two set-point opportunities in the tie-break, as he slipped to defeat in his first outing at the tournament.
Bolelli will next play Henri Laaksonen, who needed just 59 minutes to brush aside the challenge of Matteo Berrettini 6-2, 6-2.
Compatriots Pablo Carreno Busta and Fernando Verdasco will meet in an all-Spanish quarterfinal after posting wins over Thiago Monteiro and Pedro Sousa, respectively.
Meanwhile, at the Croatia Open Umag, surprise French Open semifinalist Cecchinato battled back from a set down to beat Jiri Vesely 2-6, 7-5, 7-5 and reach the last eight.
The Italian finally got over the line on his seventh match point, giving him his 16th win in 28 outings on the ATP Tour this season after two hours and 19 minutes on court. Cecchinato will meet Laslo Djere next after the latter caused a surprise by knocking out ninth seed Maximilian Marterer.
Albert Ramos-Vinolas was another seed to tumble out on Wednesday, the fifth-ranked Spaniard failing to win a game during a one-sided deciding set against Dusan Lajovic, who will play Guido Pella.
- Gujarat Giants vs Telugu Titans LIVE Score, Pro Kabaddi League 2023: Sonu’s five-point raid puts Pawan’s Titans under pressure; GG 28-22 TT
- Indian sports news wrap, December 2: Rethin, Aishi win ITF junior titles; Elavenil clinches shooting nationals gold
- U Mumba vs UP Yoddhas LIVE Score, Pro Kabaddi League 2023: Surinder’s Mumba takes on Narwal’s Yoddhas; When, where to watch PKL 10 match?
- Hyderabad FC vs Mohun Bagan SG LIVE score and updates, HFC 0-0 MBSG ISL 2023-24, Liston hits the crossbar
- Hero World Challenge: Scheffler takes joint lead with Spieth, Woods improves in second round