An autographed Serena Williams rookie card printed in 2003 has become the most expensive women's sports card after fetching $44,280 at auction last weekend, New Jersey-based Goldin Auctions said.
The previous record was $34,440 for a rookie card of former U.S. soccer player Mia Hamm sold in June.
ESPN reported the Williams card was bought by alternative-asset trading platform Alt on behalf of a private client.
READ: Berrettini becomes sixth player to seal ATP Finals spot
"People are accepting women's trading cards as collectables," ESPN quoted Goldin Auctions founder Ken Goldin as saying.
The 40-year-old Williams, who is still hunting a record-equalling 24th Grand Slam title, has not competed since limping out of her first-round match at Wimbledon in August.
Latest on Sportstar
- French Open 2023 Live Score: Djokovic beats Alcaraz, Ruud leads Zverev 6-3, 6-4 in second semifinal
- WTC Final 2023, IND vs AUS: Shardul optimistic about India’s chances; Starc lauds Rahane knock
- Chicharito set for right knee surgery says MLS Galaxy
- Inter’s Martinez living the dream as he seeks Champions League and World Cup double
- Everton trio leave club, Coleman and Davies offered new contracts