Top seed Marin Cilic pulled out of his quarterfinal clash at Tata Open Maharashtra on Thursday due to a knee injury.
The 34-year-old Croatian, ranked 17 in the world, had defeated Spaniard Roberto Carballes Baena 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 at the Balewadi Stadium on Wednesday and was supposed to face Dutchman Tallon Griekspoor.
“Hey guys, very sorry that I couldn’t come out again today to compete. Today during the warm-up, I injured my knee and unfortunately it didn’t get better until I was about to go out on the court,” said Cilic in an official statement.
“Thanks to the fans for the great support this week, it was fantastic. I’m looking forward to return to India in the future to compete over here again.”
After Cilic’s withdrawal, the doubles quarterfinal match between local pair of N. Sriram Balaji-Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan and American duo of Nathaniel Lammons and Jackson Withrow was moved from Court 1 to Center Court.
- IND vs ENG Live Score Updates, 3rd Test Day 4: ENG 15/1; Duckett falls early as England chases record 557
- Ranji Trophy Live Score, Round 7 Day 3 updates: TN enforces follow on vs Punjab; Bengal, HP, Saurashtra register innings wins
- La Liga: Lewandowski snatches Barca win at Celta
- AIFF names 23-member squad for Turkish Women’s Cup
- New Zealand recalls Kuggeleijn for Australia Test series