Fifteen-year-old sensation Marta Kostyuk's fairytale continued Wednesday as she beat local wildcard Olivia Rogowska to reach the third round of the Australian Open.
The 6-3, 7-5 win took the Ukrainian teenager's win streak at Melbourne Park to an incredible 11 straight matches after winning the Australian Open girls' title in 2017 and coming through qualifying this year.
If those feats are not astonishing enough, Marta Kostyuk has now become the youngest player to reach the third round since Martina Hingis got to the quarter-finals as a 15-year-old in 1996.
Playing since the age of five and watched by mum Talina Beyko in her player's box on Margaret Court Arena, Kostyuk said she had been used to setting new standards.
"I think I broke some records every year so I feel OK about it," she said.
In the first round she had dismantled Chinese number one and 25th seed Peng Shuai in straight sets in just 57 minutes.
The talented Kostyuk continued in the same vein against Rogowska, taking the first set in 39 minutes.
She endured a couple of wobbles in the second set, including a serve off the frame into the crowd on her first of two match points, before getting over the finish line and breaking into a massive smile.
The youngster is managed by former player Ivan Ljubicic, Roger Federer's coach, and said she was pleased to have such experience in her corner.
"He is always helping me, telling me what was wrong, even when I win," she said laughing. "I am lucky to have his experience."
Her reward is a third-round clash against countrywoman and world number four Elina Svitolina or the Czech Republic's Katerina Siniakova.
- Euro 2024: Full groups and teams drawn for the 17th European Championship; Spain, Italy and Austria together
- Premier League: Arsenal beats Wolves to go four points clear at top
- Vaishali, India’s third female Grandmaster, is making all the right moves
- IPL 2024 Auction: Scouts reveal domestic middle-order batters, fast bowlers likely to be hot property on December 19
- EURO 2024 full schedule: Complete list of matches, groups, kick-off time, venues, live streaming info