World number one Naomi Osaka slipped to a 6-2, 6-3 defeat against Kazakhstan's Yulia Putintseva as French Open champion Ashleigh Barty cruised past Jennifer Brady 6-3, 6-1 in the second round of the Birmingham Classic.
Osaka's loss means Barty can top the WTA rankings for the first time in her career if she goes on to win the title on Sunday.
The French Open champion set up a last-eight clash with Venus Williams China's Qiang Wang 6-3 6-2.
At Mallorca, defending Wimbledon champion Angelique Kerber made easy work of Maria Sharapova in their round of 16 clash. Top seed Kerber beat Sharapova, who was playing her first tournament since January , 6-2, 6-3.
American teenager Amanda Anisimova, who stunned Simona Halep to reach the French Open semfinals, continued her run in the Mallorca Open with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Alize Cornet. The 17-year-old Anisimova who pulled out of the Libema Open due to illness, is playing her first ever tour-level grass tournament.
Switzerland's Belinda Bencic went through to the quarterfinal after American Shelby Rogers retired in the third set due to a right shoulder injury. Rogers had won the first set 7-5 before Bencic fought back to take the second 6-3. Bencic was leading 3-1 in the third set when the match was called off.
- IND vs SL: India records its biggest win margin in ODIs by deliveries remaining
- Asia Cup Final: Full list of records broken by India and Sri Lanka
- Asia Cup 2023 most runs, wickets stats: Shubman Gill tops run-scorers list, Siraj third-leading wicket-taker after India wins final
- Siraj picks 6 for 21 as India wins 8th Asia Cup title
- India vs Sri Lanka Highlights, Asia Cup 2023 final: SL 50 all out; Mohammed Siraj picks six; IND wins by 10 wickets