Alexander Zverev defeated Jannik Sinner in a late-night five-set US Open marathon to line up a quarterfinal with defending champion Carlos Alcaraz.
German 12th seed Zverev outlasted Sinner 6-4, 3-6, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 in a gruelling four-hour and 41-minute match that finished at 1.39 a.m. local time Tuesday on a muggy night in New York.
Zverev claimed his second win over the sixth-seeded Italian in three US Opens and advanced to a third quarterfinal at the U.S. Open.
The 26-year-old Zverev holds a 3-2 record against world number one Alcaraz and appears to be regaining his best form after a horror ankle injury at last year’s French Open.
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023 LIVE Score, Round 4: Tamil Nadu beats Baroda; Mumbai, Saurashtra win; MP in deep trouble v Bengal
- BCCI extends contract of India head coach Rahul Dravid and support staff
- NBA roundup: Kings stun Warriors, advance in tournament
- India to tour Sri Lanka in July-August, 2024 for six-match white-ball series
- IND vs AUS, 3rd T20I: With so much dew even 14 runs per over would have been chased, says Gaikwad defending Prasidh and co.