Two-time World Cadet champion Sonam Malik stunned Rio Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik while Anshu Malik knocked out World Championship medallist Pooja Dhanda to seal their places in the Indian team for the Asian Championship, here on Saturday.
Sonam was trailing 4-6 in the second period but produced a sensational four-point throw with just three seconds left in the bout to make it 10-10, winning on criteria of scoring the last point. She then defeated Radhika 4-1 in the final to seal her spot in the 62kg category. Hailing from a small village Madina in Haryana’s Sonepat, Sonam is coached by Ajmer Malik in Gohana.
Anshu, who trains with Jagdeesh, downed Pooja and then Mansi in the final of the 57kg. There were no surprises in other categories with Vinesh Phogat (53kg) and Divya Kakran (68kg) easily winning in their respective bouts. Nirmala Devi (50kg) and Kiran Godara (76kg) were other wrestlers to win the trials.
The winners will compete at the first ranking series of the event in Rome (January 15-18) followed by Asian Championships in New Delhi (February 18-23) and if they can win medals at these two events, they will represent India at the Asian Olympic qualifiers, to be held in Xian from March 27 to 29.
- Delhi Capitals WPL 2024 team analysis: Squad depth, players to watch out, fixtures
- AUS vs NZ, 1st T20I: Australia registers its third-highest successful run chase, beats New Zealand in last-ball thriller
- Coach Thomas Tuchel to leave Bayern Munich at the end of the season
- Dortmund fumes over Eindhoven penalty award in Champions League tie
- Yashasvi Jaiswal breaks into top-20 of ICC Test Rankings