Bajrang Punia emerged champion at the Tbilisi Grand Prix in the 65kg category after outplaying Iranian wrestler Mehran Nasiri in the final in Georgia on Thursday.
The 2018 Commonwealth Games gold medallist recorded a comfortable 9-3 win over the Iranian, whom he had beaten at the 2017 Asian Championship in New Delhi as well.
The win shows that Bajrang will be a serious medal contender at the upcoming Asian Games in Indonesia. He will represent India in the 65kg after Wrestling Federation of India handed him exemption from trials.
Meanwhile in the 86kg category, Deepak Punia will fight for bronze against Osman Gosen of Turkey.
For ace Indian grappler Sushil Kumar, it was a forgettable outing as he suffered his first defeat in more than four years to crash out of 74kg category on Wednesday.
- Medvedev begins Dubai title defense with win in first match since losing Australian Open final
- WPL 2024: Smriti, Renuka star; RCB Women beat Gujarat by eight wickets
- Ranji Trophy quarterfinal: Vidarbha seals spot in semis after hara-kiri by Karnataka batters
- ISL 2023-24: FC Goa files complaint after Mumbai City analyst caught spying at training session
- Sportstar Sports Conclave — Focus Punjab: Day-long enriching sessions in store