India’s Avinash Sable won silver in the men’s 5000m on Wednesday, his second medal at the Asian Games 2023 in Hangzhou.
Sable finished second with a timing of 13:21.09, below Bahrain’s Birhanu Yemataw, who broke the Games Record clocking 13:17.40.
Another Indian in the fray, Gulveer Singh came fourth with a personal-best time of 13:29.93.
Sable won the gold medal in men’s 3000m steeplechase with a timing of 8:19:50s, breaking the Games record along the way.
Sable, a 2022 Commonwealth Games silver medallist, holds the 3000m steeplechase national record of 8 minutes 11.20 seconds. His season’s best time is 8:11.63, placing him in second position among Asians behind Miura Ryuji (SB: 8:09.91) of Japan.
In Hangzhou, besides the 3000m steeplechase, his pet event, Sable will also compete in the 5000m race.
“I am confident about steeplechase and my main aim is to win gold in that event but I am also focusing on 5000 metres,” he said.
- Ballon d’Or 2023: Lionel Messi wins best player award for record-extending eighth time
- Ballon d’Or: Full list of men’s award winners from 1956 to 2023
- Ballon d’Or 2023: List of all the winners
- Ballon d’Or 2023: Man City, FC Barcelona Femeni win Club of the Season awards
- Messi wins Ballon d’Or 2023: Looking back at all eight trophies of the FIFA World Cup winner