- October 01, 2023 19:25That’ll be it for the day!
The athletics events for October 1 are finally done. India finishes the day with nine medals - two gold, four silver, and three bronze.
For now, we cannot wait to shift our attention to the badminton courts. My colleague Mayank is blogging the proceedings live. Click here.
- October 01, 2023 19:11Yarraji’s promoted to the second spot
Wu has finally been disqualified by TR16.8. India has another silver! Nithya Ramraj finishes last in 13.40.
- October 01, 2023 18:55Yarraji third - subject to review
It’s a Chinese 1-2. Lin is the clear winner of the gold medal. But Wu’s silver and Yarraji’s bronze medal finish is pending confirmation.
- October 01, 2023 18:54Race to go underway without suspensions
Clearly, Yarraji started after Wu, and after much deliberation looks like they are going to allow both the athletes to compete. A decision will only be taken later.
- October 01, 2023 18:49A false start!
Wu Yanni with a false start. But what has happened here? There seems to be some confusion regarding Yarraji’s take-off as well. She has taken up her protest against the officials.
- October 01, 2023 18:45Jyothi Yarraji in action shortly!
The last of the Indians in action today at the Hangzhou OSC Stadium takes her mark.
- October 01, 2023 18:33Seema Punia brings the bronze home
Feng Bin leads a Chinese one-two with a Games Record - 67.93m. Compatriot Jiang Zhichao (61.04, PB) picks silver. Seema Punia’s 58.62 is good enough for a bronze medal finish.
- October 01, 2023 18:28INDIA COMPLETES A HALF-CENTURY OF MEDALS! Nandini picks bronze in women’s heptathlon
Nandini Agasara with a personal best showing in 800m (2:15.33), moves to third place on the final heptathlon standings. Swapna Barman finishes third in 800m, overall fourth by four points. This is the country’s 50th medal in the ongoing edition of the Asian Games.
- October 01, 2023 18:24It’s a SILVER for Sreeshankar!
Sreeshankar’s last effort is worth 8m, and that means the Indian will return home with a silver medal. China’s Wang Jianan picks gold with an 8.22m jump.
- October 01, 2023 18:19Seema Punia up in the bronze medal position!
Seema with a season best throw of 58.62. He is presently third on the standings.
- October 01, 2023 18:11Jeswin Aldrin falters in run-up
For his last attempt, Jeswin’s left foot slips in the run-up. He stumbles and that would be it for the Indian. His last attempt amounts to only 6.55. Disappointing but remember he is just 21, which can only mean he has a long, long way to go.
- October 01, 2023 18:06SILVER AND BRONZE FOR INDIA IN MEN’S 1500M!
Ajay Kumar Saroj (3:38.94) and Jinson Johnson (3:39.74) with a 2-3 finish in 1500m.
- October 01, 2023 18:00Seema Punia’s second and third throw
Seema Punia’s third throw is worth 57.47. She is currently fourth on the leaderboard.
- October 01, 2023 17:58Harmilan Bains wins silver!
Harmilan Bains with a fabulous show in 1500m.
- October 01, 2023 17:54Sreeshankar relives the Birmingham nightmare
Oh, the CWG horror! Murali Sreeshankar’s landing on the footboard is too close for comfort. That will take some looking into. After a good five minutes of deliberation, the jump is deemed legal. 8.19 it is. He is 3cm away from the leader Wang Jianan now.
- October 01, 2023 17:45Four-time Olympian Seema Punia in action
Seema Punia hurls the best throw thus far - 53.95. It is just an insurance throw though and we hope to see higher figures soon.
- October 01, 2023 17:41Jeswin Aldrin clocks his fourth attempt
And it is a 7.72m jump. That won’t affect his standing on the leaderboard.
- October 01, 2023 17:37Men’s shot put final results
- October 01, 2023 17:34Seema Punia to be in action in a minute from now!
The women’s discus throw final gets underway at 5:35pm IST.
- October 01, 2023 17:32Amlan finishes fifth in 200m semifinal 1
His timing reads 21.03, and that will only be good enough to hand him the fifth place.
- October 01, 2023 17:30Tolo’s throw and he will stay second!
Tolo’s last attempt won’t be enough to overtake Tajinderpal’s mark. 19.83, it is...
- October 01, 2023 17:29Tajinderpal moves #1!
Tajinder back to the gold medal position with a mammoth 20.36!
- October 01, 2023 17:22Amlan to be in action shortly!
Amlan Borgohain is second best in the semifinal 1 field of 200m.
- October 01, 2023 17:203000mSC results
- October 01, 2023 17:17Jeswin betters his mark
Jeswin does better off the third effort, but only by a centimetre. 7.76m.
- October 01, 2023 17:14Scratch that... Tolo snatches the lead back
The Saudi Arabia athlete keeps getting better, doesn’t he? 20.18! Sahib has bettered his mark again to register an 18.18m throw.
- October 01, 2023 17:12Tajinderpaaaaaaaaal!
20.06... And Tolo’s fears have taken shape. Tajinder goes to the very top of the standings.
- October 01, 2023 17:09Sreeshankar’s second attempt
17-plus cm off the safe line on the board, Sreeshankar signals towards his dad that he is only taking it easy now. A 7.87, decent enough.
- October 01, 2023 17:05Tolo on a roll!
Tolo with a season best effort of 19.93m. He lets out a roar! However, the Saudi Arabian will be wary of Tajinder. The Indian is very capable of THAT one throw.
- October 01, 2023 17:00Tajinderpal Singh Toor records his first legal attempt
Tajinder finally gets on the leaderboard with a 19.51m attempt off the third throw. Sahib, meanwhile, betters his mark again. A 17.90m throw it is, this time.
- October 01, 2023 16:58NO JUMP FOR SREESHANKAR
Murali Sreeshankar’s first jump is a fouled attempt.
- October 01, 2023 16:53GOLD FOR SABLE!
8:19.50 AND A GAMES RECORD! Sable is alone in the TV cam frame as he breaks into early celebrations. Although he seemed exhausted at the wee end of the race, the early lead helped him jog home comfortably. Iran’s Hossein Keyhani held the previous Games record - 8:22.79
- October 01, 2023 16:51Sahib Singh - 17.79!
Sahib betters his mark by a mere 0.01m.
- October 01, 2023 16:49Clears the water jump...
Avinash Sable pulls away from the rest of the group. Well well well...
- October 01, 2023 16:47Tajinderpal with an invalid throw again!
Signs of trouble here as Tajinder taps the toeboard, unable to steady himself after a throw.
- October 01, 2023 16:453000m Steeplechase final begins!
Avinash Sable, with an NR of 8:11.20, starts off ahead of the pack. He will be mindful of getting stuck in a speed trap once again.
- October 01, 2023 16:42LONG JUMP BEGINS... JESWIN ALDRIN SETS OFF ON A MERRY NOTE!
It is a 7.75m jump for Jeswin and phew... it is legal. He was 9.1cm off the safe limit on the takeoff board.
- October 01, 2023 16:41TOLOOOO!
The Saudi Arabian athlete gets in with a huge throw. Mohamed Daouda A Tolo throws the metal ball 19.54m away.
- October 01, 2023 16:36MONSTER THROW FROM TAJINDERPAL! BUT...
Tajinderpal starts off with a huge hurl but unfortunately it is a ‘no throw’. No worries there as he will still have a few attempts. That he is throwing it this far can only be taken as a positive going forward.
- October 01, 2023 16:32Sahib Singh gets things rolling
Sahib starts off with a 17.78m throw. That is way below his PB of 19.23, but quite sure he is just getting a feel of things here.
- October 01, 2023 16:30The evening session gets underway!
Tajinderpal Singh Toor, Sahib Singh and the others make their way to the middle.
- October 01, 2023 08:29Morning session done and dusted
And that brings the curtains down for the morning session of athletics. The next set Indian athletes will be in action from 4:30pm IST where Tajinder Pal Singh Toor and Shahib SIngh will fight for the men’s shot put podium
- October 01, 2023 08:25Javelin throw: Swapna finishes fifth, Nandini ninth
Disappointment for the Indian athletes as they manage passable throws. 41.91m effort from Swapna while Nandini records a personal best 39.88m throw
Standings after javelin throw event:
- October 01, 2023 08:10Javelin throw: 2nd attempt
Swapna has yet another middling outing as she registers a 45.13m throw. On the other hand, Nandini manages just a 36.10m throw
Standings after 2nd attempt:
- October 01, 2023 08:06Amlan qualifies for men’s 200m semifinal
Amlan Borgohain is all set to kickstart men’s 200m heats. He starts in lane 4 and finishes THIRD with 21.08s on the clock to qualify for the semifinal
- October 01, 2023 07:56Javelin throw: 1st attempt
Swapna starts off with a 43.78m throw. Meanwhile, Nandini falters, failure in her first try
Standings after 1st attempt:
- October 01, 2023 07:33Next
Up next will be the javelin throw event in women’s heptathlon
- October 01, 2023 07:28Women’s heptathlon summary - Nandini third
- October 01, 2023 07:27Final standings - Women’s heptathlon long jump
Nandini finishes third while defending champion Swapna is seventh
- October 01, 2023 07:23Swapna - 3rd try
Swapna registers a 5.71 jump in her final try and is currently placed seventh in the long jump standings. An underwhelming outing for the Indian
Swapna’s attempts: 5.63, 3.36, 5.71
- October 01, 2023 07:14Nandini - 3rd attempt
The Indian registers an impressive season best 5.94m in her third attempt. She’s placed third behind China and Uzbekistan
Nandini’s attempts: 5.91, 5.77, 5.94
- October 01, 2023 07:11Yarraji in action - Women’s 200m heat 1
India’s Jyothi Yarraji is all set to start the proceedings in women’s 200m race. She finishes third with 23.78 on the clock. China’s Li Yuting attains first place, clocking 23.67 while Olga Safronova also qualifies for the final with 23.71 on the clock.
Qualification criteria: First two from each heat qualifies for the final directly while the next two fastest in all heats combined will also get a shot at the medal
- October 01, 2023 07:01Swapna - 2nd try
Swapna gets ready for her second attempt. And she falters yet again and it looks like she’s injured herself on the process as her legs collide just before taking off. She’s only able to manage a 3.36m jump. Her injury isn’t anything serious though, by the looks of it as she’s able to walk normally
Meanwhile, China’s Zheng jumps registers her season best 6.07m to move to the top of standings
- October 01, 2023 06:55Nandini - 2nd try
Nandini ends up with 5.77m on board. Her first try of 5.91 will still remain her best. She’s placed second currently with 4150 points overall
- October 01, 2023 06:44Swapna - 1st try
Swapna Barman up next. She’s looks visibly upset after her first try as she registers a 5.63m jump. She’s placed fifth currently
Meanwhile, both Japanese athletes- Odama and Yamasaki- register no jumps
- October 01, 2023 06:34Nandini - 1st try
Nandini registers a 5.91m jump in her first try. This is her season best. To the Indian’s advantage Thailand’s Sunisa also registers a no jump
Uzbekistan’s Ekaterina Veronina gets a 5.95m jump to overtake Nandini to the top of standing
- October 01, 2023 06:33We are underway
The women’s heptathlon long jump event is underway with Japan’s Karin Odama of Japan making her first jump and she starts with a no jump
- October 01, 2023 06:28First up
The first athletics event of the day is the women’s heptathlon long jump where two Indians- Swapna Barman and Nandini Agasara- will be seen in action.
- October 01, 2023 06:25Athletics - India schedule
Swapna Barman, Nandini Agasara - W Heptathlon Long Jump – 06:30 IST
Jyothi Yarraji – W 200m Round 1 – 07:10 IST
Swapna Barman, Nandini Agasara - W Heptathlon Javelin Throw – 07:35 IST
Amlan Borgohain – M 200m – Round 1 Heat 4 – 08:06 IST
Tajinderpal Singh Toor, Sahib Singh – M Shot Put Final – 16:30 IST
Sreeshanker/Jeswin – M Long Jump Final – 16:40 IST
Avinash Sable – M 3000m Steeple Chase – 16:45 IST
Amlan Borgohain – M 200m –Semifinal (if qualified)– 17:25 IST
Seema Punia – W Discuss Throw Final – 17:35 IST
KM Deeksha, Harmilan Bains – W 1500m Final – 17:50 IST
Jinson/ Ajay Kumar – M 1500 Final – 18:00 IST
Swapna Barman, Nandini Agasara - W Heptathlon 800m – 18:15 IST
Jyothi Yarraji – W 100m Hurdles – 18:45 IST
- October 01, 2023 05:54ICYMI
Click the link below to know how yesterday’s athletics events unfolded:
- October 01, 2023 05:30Streaming telecast information
The 19th edition of the Asian Games will be telecast live across the Sony Sports Network and can also be live streamed on the Sony LIV app/website
- La Liga 2023-24: Athletic Bilbao draw prevents Girona from returning to top spot
- AFC Champions League 2023-24: Ronaldo’s Al-Nassr secures knockout stage berth with draw against Persepolis
- Al Nassr vs Persepolis Highlights, AFC Champions League 2023-24: NAS 0-0 PER, Ronaldo’s 10 man team moves to round of 16 with a draw
- AFC Champions League points table LIVE: Al-Nassr vs Persepolis, Ronaldo’s side leading in Group E, enters round of 16
- ISL 2023-24: Super sub Victor Rodriguez brings three points home for FC Goa against Jamshedpur FC as it goes on top of the table