Kartik Kumar of Uttar Pradesh won the men's 10,000m event with a time of 29:20.21 to start off the first day of the Federation Cup at the Calicut University Stadium on Saturday.
He raced to the gold with a fine finish, pushing behind his closest rivals Sawan Barwal (Himachal) and Gulveer Singh (UP), who had to settle for the silver and bronze medals respectively. It was a well-paced run by Kartik, who accelerated and took the lead when it mattered most.
Later, Maharashtra’s Sanjivani Jadhav won the women’s 10,000m, clocking 33:13.07. Himachal’s Seema and Uttar Pradesh’s Kavita Yadav took the silver and bronze respectively.
In the afternoon, Tamil Nadu’s Rosy Meena Paulraj won the women’s pole vault, clearing 4.00m, while her teammate Baranica Elangovan claimed the silver. The bronze was won by Haryana’s Pooja.
The day also saw Arokia Rajiv failing to make it to the final of men’s 400m. The meet-record holder from Tamil Nadu could not qualify from the semifinals.
Day two promises more exciting action, with the finals of glamorous events like 100m and 400m (both men and women) lined up.
- 2023 Vijay Hazare Trophy LIVE Score, Round 4: Baroda 54/4 in 167-run chase vs TN; Mumbai beats Pondicherry by 7 wickets; Saurashtra eyes big win vs Odisha
- IND vs AUS, 3rd T20I: With so much dew even 14 runs per over would have been chased, says Gaikwad defending Prasidh and co.
- India’s Ashwal Rai, Muthusamy urge home support during Volleyball Club World Championships 2023
- Barca has shown ‘winning mentality’ in Champions League, says Xavi
- Pakistan players told to put country before franchise leagues under new team director Hafeez