Neeraj Chopra is set to compete in men's javelin throw at the Paavo Nurmi Games in Turku Finland, with the list featuring World Champion Anderson Peters and World Championship gold medallist Johannes Vetter among others.
This is set to be the Olympic gold medallist's first event since the Tokyo Games last year.
Neeraj had won the Gold Medal in javelin throw at the Olympics, becoming the first track-and-field athlete to win an Olympic Gold from the country.
Earlier, Neeraj switched his training base from Turkey to Finland ahead of three track-and-field competitions in Scandinavia- the Paavo Nurmi Games, the Kuortane Games, and the Diamond League (Stockholm).
The Paavo Nurmi Games, one of the biggest track-and-field competitions outside the Diamond League, will start on June 14. Neeraj will square off against Johannes Vetter on day one of the competition.
The Sports Authority of India (SAI) said the “four-week training camp has been sanctioned by the government’s Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS) and would cost the sport ministry ₹9.8 lakh (approx.). From Kuortane, Neeraj will then head out to Turku to participate in the Paavo Nurmi Games, followed by Kuortane Games and then Diamond League in Stockholm,” SAI said.
(with inputs from PTI)
- Rory McIlroy spat adds spice to Ryder Cup climax
- Athletics LIVE updates, Asian Games 2023: Nandini fourth, Swapna fifth after javelin throw in women’s heptathlon; Amlan qualifies for men’s 200m semifinal
- Asian Games 2023 LIVE Updates, October 1: Aditi Ashok nears gold in golf, men’s trap shooters in medal contention - Hangzhou 2022 Scores
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally, September 30- India wins gold in squash men’s team, tennis mixed doubles; IND 4th with 10 gold, 38 medals
- Bayern Munich rides its luck to draw at Leipzig 2-2 in Bundesliga; Bayer Leverkusen moves top