Indian national record-holder Praveen Chitravel finished sixth at the Monaco Diamond League triple jump event, which was won by Hugues Fabrice Zango of Burkina Faso on Saturday.
Chithravel, who was returning from a hamstring injury, started slowly, marking only a 15.69m jump in the first round.
But the Tamil Nadu-born athlete improved over the event, finally ending with a best of 16.59m, which he pulled off in his fifth and final jump of the event.
The sixth-place finish gave Chithravel three qualification points for the Diamond League Final race.
Tokyo Olympic bronze medallist Zango ensured a thrilling finish to the competition, when he sprang a massive 17.70 in the final jump of the day, to snatch the top spot from Jamaican wunderkind Jaydon Hibbert, who thought he had won the event with a 17.66m jump in his fourth effort.
Yasser Triki of Algeria finished third with a season-best jump of 17.32.
- Fury, Usyk to fight on February 17 in Saudi Arabia for undisputed heavyweight crown
- FIFA World Cup 2026 qualifiers: Australia thrashes Bangladesh 7-0; Palestine draws 0-0 with Lebanon
- Messi’s Argentina falls to Uruguay, loses first match since World Cup title
- Euro 2024 Qualifiers roundup: Hungary qualifies for Euro 2024 in match marred by violence; Slovakia qualifies with win
- Diaz double fires Colombia over Brazil after kidnap drama