Defending champion P.V. Sindhu will be desperate for her first win after three consecutive first-round losses in 2023 when she takes on Switzerland’s world no. 71, Jenjira Stadelmann, in a round of 32 match on the second day at the Swiss Open Super 300 in Basel.
There are 14 Indians who will be jostling for a place in the pre-quarterfinals on Wednesday.
Former World Championships silver medallist Kidambi Srikanth will play world no. 23 Weng Hong Yang of China in the first round. Malvika Bansod, who beat Lauren Lam in the qualifier, will face an uphill task against world no. 19 Kim Gan Eun of South Korea. Aakarshi Kashyap is the third Indian women’s singles player in action today.
However, all eyes will be on the match between world no. 9 H.S. Prannoy and last week’s All England Open runner-up Shi Yuqi when they confront each other on court one at the Birmingham Arena.
Another Indian to watch out for in men’s singles is Lakshya Sen, who went down to 25 on the world rankings due to a poor start to 2023. Lakshya will be up against world no. 19 Lee Cheuk Yiu of Hong Kong after making a second-round exit from the All-England Open.
Also Read | BWF Rankings: Sen slips to World No. 25
Mithun Manjunath and Kiran Goerge are the other Indian men’s singles players who will be playing today.
In men’s doubles, the world no. 6 pair of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty will look to bounce back from a disappointing show in the All England Open last week. Satwik and Chirag face Boon Xin Yuan and Wong Tien Ci Malaysia in their round of 32 clash at the Swiss Open.
N. Sikki Reddy and Arathi Sara Sunil are the remaining Indian hopes in women’s doubles after Treesa Jolly-Gayatri Gopichand made a first-round exit on Monday. Sikki Reddy will also play in mixed doubles, partnering with Rohan Kapoor.
- India vs Australia, World Cup 2023 final: Travis Head named Player of the Match
- India vs Australia Live Score Updates, World Cup 2023 Final: Australia clinches sixth World title; presentation ceremony coming up
- IND vs AUS, World Cup final: Australia wins ICC World Cup 2023, beats India at home, live reactions
- Serbia qualifies for Euro 2024 after 2-2 draw with Bulgaria
- Travis Head becomes fourth player to win Player of the Match in final, semifinal of same ODI World Cup