India international basketball players Palpreet Singh and Amjyot Singh have been banned for one year each for “gross indiscipline”, Basketball Federation of India (BFI) Secretary-General, Chander Mukhi Sharma, stated on Wednesday.
“During the Indian team’s visit to Gold Coast for the Commonwealth Games, Amjyot slapped (India teammate) Arshpreet Bhullar. When captain Yadwinder Singh tried to step in and calm the situation, Amjyot took on Yadwinder as well. The incident disturbed the mental state of the team, and affected their performance. This is the fifth time that we have had disciplinary issues with Amjyot. In the past, he has had altercations with our national team coaches S. Bhaskar and G.R.L. Prasad,” Chander said.
Amjyot, a 6'8" forward, was drafted by OKC Blue of the NBA G League last year.
Palpreet has been punished for a derogatory post he made on social media, Chander explained.
“Gross indiscipline of this nature cannot be tolerated. Excusing this sort of behaviour will send the wrong message to youngsters in the national team,” Chander said.
- WPL 2024: All-round show helps Delhi Capitals thrash UP Warriorz by nine wickets for season’s first win
- Hard work, determination and a bit of kismet: For RCB’s Asha Sobhana, WPL is just the start
- Indian sports wrap, February 26
- NBA: Clippers unveil new uniforms, logo for next season
- Bayern Munich signs Max Eberl as sporting director