Asian Championships gold medallist Pooja Rani (75kg) and World Championships bronze medallist Lovlina Borgohain (69kg), along with Neeraj (57kg) and Jony (60kg), entered the semi-finals of the Magomed Salam Umakhanov Memorial International Boxing Tournament 2019 in Kaspiysk, Russia on Wednesday.
Lovlina, who won the bronze medal at the Strandja Cup, was in top form in her quarter-final bout beating Russia's Anastasiya Sigaeva 5-0. She will next take on Belarus' Alina Veber for a place in the final.
Pooja Rani bounced back from a shock loss at the India Open in May with a 4-1 victory over Russia's Laura Mamedkulova to confirm another medal for India.
Fresh from winning the gold at the India Open, Neeraj recorded a 4-1 win over Russian Sayana Sagataeva, while Jony beat Belarusian Anastasiya Obushenkova 5-0.
READ | Gaurav Solanki, Pinki Jangra enter quarters of Russian boxing tourney
Pinki Rani (51kg) was the only Indian women boxer to not reach the semis as she suffered a 0-5 loss to Belarus' Yuliya Apanasovich.
Among the men, Ashish Insha (52kg) beat Azerbaijan's Salman Alizade 4-1 to enter the quarter-finals. He joined 2018 Commonwealth Games gold medallist Gaurav Solanki (56kg), GeeBee Boxing silver medallist Govind Sahani (49kg) and 2018 India Open gold medallist Sanjeet (91kg), in the .
Six Indian men and five Indian women were in fray in the 21st edition of the tournament that features 220 boxers hailing from 21 countries.
Latest on Sportstar
- French Open 2023: Swiatek to face Gauff in quarterfinals after Tsurenko retires unwell
- French Open 2023: Rune beats Cerundolo in final set tiebreak, sets up quarterfinal rematch with Ruud
- Seven punished by Spanish government for racist insults against Vinicius
- Nacho, Fati called up to Spain squad for Nations League finals
- Asian U20 Athletics Championship: Shivam bags silver in javelin throw; Shakeel wins bronze in 800m