Ding Liren took a 1-0 lead against R. Praggnanandhaa in the two-set final of the Chessables Masters online rapid chess tournament on Wednesday.
The World No. 2 won the best-of-four games first set 2.5-1.5 after emerging stronger with black pieces in the first and third games. Praggnanandhaa levelled the score after winning, with black, in the second game. In the fourth game, Ding held on and easily drew to close out the first set.
In Thursday’s second set, Praggnanandhaa faces a must-win situation. A victory for Praggnanandhaa will take the match to a two-game blitz tie-breaker.
In case the deadlock persists, an Armageddon game will be played. Here, the player with white pieces gets five minutes to black’s four, with no increment time added for the moves made. In case of a draw, black is adjudged as the winner.
- Aiming for more at Asian Games: IOA at crossroads to send more teams from India to Hangzhou 2022
- IND vs WI, 2nd Test: India wins series 1-0 after match drawn due to rain
- What Google Won’t Tell You podcast: Murali Sreeshankar on long jump, basketball, speed cubing and sacrificing his beloved parotta
- IND vs WI 2nd Test Highlights, Day 5: Rain plays spoilsport, match ends in draw; India wins series 1-0
- Bundesliga: Austria midfielder Sabitzer swaps Bayern for Dortmund