Unseeded Indians performed on expected lines when three men and two women entered the second round of the 2023 FIDE World Cup at Baku, Azerbaijan, on Monday.
Of the five Indians on view in the open section, S. L. Narayanan, Abhimanyu Puranik and Karthik Venkarataman made it to the second round while B. Adhiban and Harsha Bharathakoti will figure in the tie-break games after contrasting results in the two-game mini-matches.
In the women’s section, former National champions Mary Ann Gomes and Divya Deshmukh advanced with an identical 1.5-0.5 margin. N. Priyanka escaped defeat after her rival failed to punish a late blunder for a second straight draw. However, P. V. Nandhidhaa lost Game 2 to exit from the competition.
On Wednesday, seeded Indians - D. Gukesh, Vidit Gujrathi, Nihal Sarin, Arjun Erigaisi and R. Praggnanandhaa - will join the action from the second round. Similarly in the women’s section, R. Vaishali, K. Humpy and D. Harika will open their campaigns against first-round winners.
- Davis Cup Finals 2023: Preview, schedule, streaming info
- China Masters 2023: Satwik-Chirag, Prannoy through to second round
- Top moments from ODI World Cup 2023: Kohli’s 50th hundred to Mathews’ timed out
- Para Asian Archery C’ship 2023: Indians through to six team gold medal matches
- Best batting performances in ICC World Cup 2023