R. Vaishali scored her third and final International Master norm from the MTO Biel international chess festival in Switzerland on Wednesday. She finished the tournament with 4.5 points from nine rounds.
She had scored her first two norms from the Isle of Man Open in 2018 and the Xtracon Open in Denmark in 2019. “I already have one GM norm, and narrowly missed the second here in this tournament,” Vaishali told Sportstar over phone from Biel
There is already a GM in her family — her prodigious younger brother R. Praggnanandhaa. “I will try for the GM norms in the couple of tournaments I will be playing before I fly back to Chennai,” she said.
- Shooter loses left thumb after pistol’s gas cylinder explodes at Karni Singh Range
- T20 World Cup 2024: Ravi Bishnoi emerges as India’s third spin option after successful outing against Australia
- Junior World Boxing Championships: Amisha, Prachi and Hardik win silver
- Shreyanka Patil: My goal is to win the World Cup for India and an Olympic gold
- Honda’s Kavin Quintal clinches 10th position in 2023 ARRC finale