While the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) waits to hear from the members of the Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC) — Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman — over their availability for the women’s coach selection process, a couple of former players have also been approached to be part of the selection process.
Speaking to Sportstar on Friday, former India cricketer and erstwhile national coach, Aunshuman Gaekwad, confirmed the development. “They (the Board) contacted me a few days ago and asked if I would be interested in being a part of the selection process and I agreed. I am waiting to hear from them,” Gaekwad said.
Former India captain Kapil Dev has also been invited to the BCCI headquarters on December 20 — when the interviews will be conducted. His participation, however, isn’t confirmed yet.
Former India women’s players Shantha Rangaswamy and Shubhangi Kulkarni – who were believed to be part of the process – are yet to receive any invitation from the Board.
This is being considered as a back-up plan in case the CAC stays out of the selection process. Earlier, the CAC had opted out of the junior selectors’ selection process citing prior commitments. Tendulkar had also cited conflict of interest due to his son Arjun Tendulkar's participation in age-group cricket.
The Supreme Court-appointed Committee of Administrators (CoA), which looks after the cricketing affairs at the moment, had written to Tendulkar, Ganguly and Laxman on Thursday, inviting them to be part of the selection process — keeping the SC directive in mind. While former India captain Ganguly confirmed to Sportstar via text message that they have received a letter from the CoA, he did not clarify whether the CAC will be available.
When contacted, BCCI’s General Manager (Cricket Operations), Syed Saba Karim, admitted that the “CoA and the BCCI will have to decide” on an alternative plan in case the CAC members are unavailable.
The Supreme Court order makes it mandatory for the CoA to consult with the CAC before going ahead with a selection process. Finally, if the CAC does not involve itself in the process, the CoA may have to consult the amicus curiae, before officially going ahead with the interview process.
Meanwhile, Powar still hasn’t applied for the job, contrary to speculations.
- Asian Games 2023, September 24 Live Updates: India men’s football team moves to round of 16; Nikhat enters boxing pre-quarterfinals; India men’s table tennis team loses quarterfinal
- India vs Myanmar Asian Games 2023: How can Indian football team qualify for round of 16 in Hangzhou 2022
- Arsenal vs Tottenham Hotspur LIVE streaming info: When, where to watch Premier League match; Predicted XI
- India vs Myanmar HIGHLIGHTS, Asian Games: IND 1-1 MYA; India qualifies for Round of 16
- India vs Myanmar Asian Games 2023: Who will the Indian football team face in round of 16 at Hangzhou 2022?