Cameron Bancroft has been charged with "attempting to change the condition of the ball" following an alleged ball-tampering incident during day three of the third Test between South Africa and Australia.
The Australian opener appeared to rub the ball with a yellow item, which was then returned to his pocket before being dropped down the front of his trousers.
Bancroft produced a black sunglasses carrier when pressed over the incident by the umpires, appearing to imply that the case was the only item in his pocket.
Spectators speculated on social media that the item utilised and then swiftly hidden by Bancroft was sandpaper, but it was later revealed that yellow tape had been used.
It was also confirmed that the Australian team's leadership group were aware of the indiscretion, with captain Steve Smith commenting: "I'm not proud of it.
"We spoke about it and thought it was a possible way to get an advantage.
"The coaches weren't involved."
Latest on Sportstar
- Suns hire veteran coach Frank Vogel to lead franchise - Reports
- Khelo India University Games: Guru Nanak Dev narrows gap at top with Panjab on day 11
- Formula 1: Verstappen tops both Spanish GP practice sessions
- Rafael Leao extends AC Milan deal until 2028
- Djokovic advances to French Open fourth round