After Mumbai’s meek surrender to Gujarat coach Vinayak Samant admitted that the younger generation does not really value Mumbai’s cap.
“Because there aren’t many Mumbai players to have won the trophy in the team, not many (youngsters) know the value (of the Mumbai cap),” Samant said after a prolonged team meeting.
“Thanks to IPL they can play for India, but playing four days, staying on the wicket, is very difficult because we have all the stroke-players. We have to work on the technique, which I have been stressing on. That’s why our Mumbai U-16 bunch is very important,” he said.
Openers Jay Bista and Akhil Herwadkar, despite being around for three seasons, have failed to cement their place while Armaan Jaffer and senior partners Suryakumar Yadav, Aditya Tare and Siddhesh Lad, erred in shot-selection.
Samant lambasted them for their shoddy display. “At this level, working on technique is not that easy. They have to change the mindset between matches, but you can’t change technique during a tournament,” Samant said, citing Bista and Herwadkar’s flaws and Lad and Tare’s inability to build on starts.
“Bista is playing with his bottom hand falling down. Herwadkar is getting out again and again [caught] in the slips. Not moving his feet, opening up, head not steady, so you can’t go forward and play.
“I am not saying don’t play strokes and keep defending. But you have to analyse your game and play accordingly. Lad got out on 62 (in the first innings), and Tare got out on 56 (second innings). Had they chosen better strokes, we would have done better.”
- Al Nassr vs Persepolis LIVE Score, NAS 0-0 PER, AFC Champions League 2023-24: Ronaldo’s 10 man team keeps it all square, second half underway
- ISL 2023-24: Super sub Victor Rodriguez brings three points home for FC Goa against Jamshedpur FC as it goes on top of the table
- Mohun Bagan Super Giant vs Odisha FC Highlights, AFC Cup: MBSG 2-5 OFC, Juggernauts beat Mariners to stay second
- Prannoy, Lakshya withdraw from Syed Modi International 2023
- Hockey Nationals 2023: Defending champions Haryana to face Punjab in the final