Australian all-rounder Glenn Maxwell has been ruled out of the ODI series beginning this week at home against England after breaking his leg in a freak accident at a 50th birthday party in Melbourne this weekend.
According to cricket.com.au, Maxwell fractured his left fibula when he and the person, whose birthday it was, were running in a backyard on Saturday evening.
Both slipped and fell, with Maxwell’s leg becoming trapped under the other person’s, understood to be Maxwell’s friend.
The 34-year-old Maxwell underwent surgery on Sunday and will undergo a lengthy rehabilitation.
“Glenn is in good spirits It was an unfortunate accident and we feel for Glenn in the circumstances given he was in great touch in his last few games,” Australia’s selection chief George Bailey told cricket.com.au.
“Glenn is a critical part of our white ball structure and we will continue to support him through his recovery and rehabilitation.”
Sean Abbott has replaced Maxwell in the squad for the ODI series.
- India vs Sri Lanka LIVE Score, Asia Cup 2023 Super 4: Rohit, Gill give India brisk start; IND vs SL match updates
- UEFA hosts women football stars for expert advice, but thanks ousted Luis Rubiales for his service
- India vs Sri Lanka LIVE Scorecard, streaming info Asia Cup 2023: When and where to watch IND vs SL match today?
- Asia Cup 2023: Shreyas Iyer to miss Sri Lanka game after being adviced rest due to back spasm
- India vs Sri Lanka Colombo LIVE weather updates, Asia Cup 2023: India opts to bat first after winning toss; No rain at the moment