India skipper Rohit Sharma crossed Sri Lankan great Kumar Sangakkara in the list of most runs in ODI World Cups during the 2023 final against Australia on Sunday at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad.
FOLLOW LIVE BLOG: India vs Australia World Cup 2023 Final
Rohit started the match just four short of Sangakkara’s tally of 1532 in 39 innings.
The India skipper moved fourth in the overall list, with compatriots Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli, and Ricky Ponting ahead of him. Before the final, Rohit had 1528 runs in 27 innings at an average of 61.12 and a strike rate of 104.51.
In the 2023 edition, Rohit has scored 550 runs in 10 innings. He also holds the record for the most hundreds (7) in the quadrenndial tournament.
Rohit departed for 47 runs off 31 deliveries while trying to take on Glenn Maxwell which took his tally to 1575 runs.
- India vs Australia Live Score Updates, World Cup 2023 Final: IND 169/4 (34) vs AUS; Rahul, Jadeja at crease after Kohli falls
- IND vs AUS: Virat Kohli overtakes Ricky Ponting for most runs in ICC World Cups, goes 2nd behind Sachin Tendulkar
- IND vs AUS Live scorecard, World Cup 2023 Final: Virat Kohli falls after getting to fifty; Australia in control vs India
- IND vs AUS: Rohit Sharma overtakes Sangakkara in most runs in ICC World Cups list, moves into 4th place in overall list
- Most runs in a World Cup edition: Virat Kohli overtakes Sachin Tendulkar, Rohit in top 10