India suffered a big blow ahead of the Test series against South Africa, with Jasprit Bumrah being ruled out after sustaining a minor stress fracture in his lower back.
BCCI has named Umesh Yadav as his replacement for the three-Test series, starting October 2 in Visakhapatnam.
“The injury was detected during a routine radiological screening. He will now undergo rehabilitation at NCA and will be monitored by the BCCI medical team. The All-India Senior Selection Committee has named Umesh Yadav as Bumrah’s replacement,” the BCCI release said.
Bumrah was not part of the Twenty20 series which ended in a 1-1 draw, while Umesh last played a Test for India in December 2018, during the tour of Australia.
In the two-Tests against the West Indies, Bumrah picked 13 wickets which also included a hat-trick.
India’s Test squad: Virat Kohli (capt), Mayank Agarwal, Rohit Sharma, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane (vc), Hanuma Vihari, Rishabh Pant, Wriddhiman Saha, Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammed Shami, Umesh Yadav, Ishant Sharma and Shubman Gill.
Latest on Sportstar
- BCCI president Binny distances himself from 83’ World Cup-winning team’s statement on wrestlers’ protest
- Nadal having hip muscle surgery says representative
- Diamond League: Faith Kipyegon breaks women’s 1500m world record
- Diamond League: Aboobacker finishes sixth in men’s triple jump
- Kvaratskhelia named Serie A player of the year after helping Napoli to title