Ravindra Jadeja, who went wicketless in the first Test combined well with Ishant Sharma and Ravi Ashwin to bundle out Sri Lanka for 205 on the first Day of the second Test.
Cheteshwar Pujara (right) and the returning M. Vijay frustrated Sri Lanka for most of Day Two and went on to register scores of 143 and 128 respectively.
Virat Kohli scored 213 to take India's lead over 400 and in the process joined Brian Lara as the only other captain to have scored as many as five double-centuries in Tests as captain.
Rohit Sharma, playing Test cricket for the first time since November 2016, got himself in the scoring act with an unbeaten 102 as India's total soared past 600.
Ravichandran Ashwin became the fastest bowler to 300 Test wickets when he dismissed Lahiru Gamage in the second innings. His ended the match with eight wickets to his name.
India registered its joint biggest win as Sri Lanka was shot out for 166 in the second innings. The no. 1 ranked Test side now takes an unassailable lead into the third Test which starts on Saturday.
- Asian Games 2023, squash preview: Saurav Ghosal steps up quest for Asiad gold
- Morocco, Algeria set to host Africa Cup of Nations tournaments
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally, September 26 - LIVE - Neha Thakur wins silver, Eabad Ali bronze in sailing; India 6th with 2 golds, 13 medals
- David Miller holds record he would prefer not to have
- BAN vs NZ 3rd ODI Dream11 Fantasy Team: Bangladesh vs New Zealand playing XI updates; Zakir Hasan, Foxcroft debut