Right-hand fast bowler Mukesh Kumar was handed his international debut for India against West Indies, becoming the 308th player to represent the country in Test cricket, after all-rounder Shardul Thakur was ruled out due to an injury.
Mukesh, who has made the Indian squad in all three formats, has been a consistent performer in the domestic circuit.
“Shardul has pulled up a niggle. He’s not fit. Mukesh is going to make his debut. He has worked hard in domestic cricket,” said Indian captain Rohit Sharma before the games.
The Bengal pacer, who represents Delhi Capitals in the IPL, is known for his consistency and his ability to trouble batters with lateral movement.
Mukesh has taken 149 wickets in 39 First Class matches at an average of 21.55.
MORE TO FOLLOW
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023 LIVE Score, Round 4: Mumbai’s Deshpande jolts Pondicherry; Tamil Nadu loses three wickets vs Baroda
- Extension on cards, BCCI wants Dravid to coach team in South Africa
- Asian Champions League 2023-24: Al-Hilal overcomes Al-Dawsari’s penalty woes to progress in last 16
- Champions League 2023-24: Manchester City claims top spot after recovering to beat Leipzig 3-2
- Champions League 2023-24: Barcelona beats Porto 2-1, returns to knockout stage