As Nagaland amassed a huge total of 530-8 against Mizoram in its first-ever Ranji Trophy fixture on Friday, it also created history by becoming the first team to score 500-plus runs on Ranji Trophy debut.
According to noted sports statistician, Mohandas Menon, earlier, only Northern India had scored 459-7 (declared) against Army in 1934. Menon could not find any 500-plus totals on debut by any team.
As the team put up a huge total, thanks to a double century by Abrar Kazi, the cricket enthusiasts of the state were busy searching for record books or browse the internet. Because the BCCI-affiliated scorers present in the stadium did not make any such announcements.
That forced the state association officials to call up journalists to find out if that indeed was a record. "We have been receiving calls from local cricket fans, who want to know if this is the record. But, we could not confirm them as we were not sure," the association secretary, Ahidur Rahman, said.
Even Nagaland Chief Minister, Neiphiu Rio, who also heads the cricket association, called up the cricket officials to know if the team had actually created history. "Many people even dialled the Chief Minister's Office directly. Ever since the team put 500-plus runs, everyone was excited," Rahman explained.
Stepping into the Ranji Trophy circuit for the first time, the state from the northeast has started off with a bang. And, the fans hope that the team creates many such feats in the future.
- Asian Games 2023, September 27 Live Updates from Hangzhou 2022: Sift Kaur Samra wins 50m rifle 3p gold with new world record; Manu, Esha and Rhythm win 25m pistol team gold, India 11-0 Singapore in women’s hockey
- India vs Singapore women’s hockey LIVE score, Asian Games 2023 updates: IND 10-0 SGP; Sangita scores India’s 10th; streaming info
- Asian Games 2023: Sift Kaur wins gold in women’s 50m rifle 3P with World Record, Ashi Chouksey bags bronze
- Asian Games 2023: Vishnu Saravanan wins bronze in men’s ILCA 7 event
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally, September 27 - LIVE - Sift Kaur wins gold with WR in shooting; India wins gold, silver in shooting team event; Stands on 6th with 5 golds, 20 medal in total