Travis Head was on Monday added to the Australian squad for its five-match One-Day International (ODI) series in Sri Lanka. Head, primarily a batsman who can bowl off-spin, has made one ODI appearance for Australia, in the recent tri-series in the Caribbean, but has impressed during a stint in English county cricket with Yorkshire.
Australia coach Darren Lehmann said: "He’s a young player who has the attributes we think are quite important here. We want to give him as much experience, because he's a young guy who's had some success."
"He hasn't had enough international exposure and we think it's a really good time to do that, with an eye on the future as well. We've been impressed with him. That's why he has come in a bit early. It's only a couple of days earlier than the one-day squad."
Australia finds itself 2-0 down in the best-of-three Test series following their 229-run defeat in Galle with the final match starting on Saturday in Colombo — a contest Head is not being considered for with the one-dayers starting on August 21.
Having struggled to cope with the conditions on the sub-continent, it is likely to be a much-changed squad for next year's four-Test trip to India, but Lehmann refused to confirm Head's call-up was with that tour in mind.
He added: "You're always looking at those things. When you haven't had the success you'd like, you've got to look at different things. We're really happy with the group. Obviously we'd like different results. But we are just bringing him in for the experience more than anything else."
- India vs England Live Score updates, 4th Test Day 1: ENG 124/5; Akash Deep, spinners put IND in control
- Ranji Trophy Live Score, 2023-24 Quarterfinal updates: Bhargav Bhatt picks 3 vs Mumbai ; Ajith Ram removes Pujara for 2
- WL 2024: From Baroda cricket to Women’s Premier League via Goa, Tarannum Pathan on course to living late father’s dream
- IND vs ENG, 4th Test: Ashwin becomes first Indian bowler to pick 100 wickets against England
- Gujarat Giants WPL 2024 team analysis: Squad depth, players to watch out, fixtures