Lucknow Super Giants scored the second-highest team total ever in IPL when it amassed 257/5 in an evening match against the Punjab Kings at the IS Bindra Stadium in Mohali on Friday.
A hapless PBKS attack watched on in despair as Kyle Mayers’ brisk fifty and brutal power-hitting from Ayush Badoni and Marcus Stoinis took LSG to a seemingly insurmountable first-innings score on a belter of a wicket.
LSG reached the 200-mark with 24 legal balls to spare in its innings. Stoinis fell for a 40-ball 72. Nicholas Pooran racked up a 19-ball 45. Arshdeep Singh and Kagiso Rabada conceded in excess of 50 in their four overs.
Royal Challengers Bangalore’s 263/5 against the now-defunct Pune Warriors India in IPL 2013 remains the highest team total in IPL. Chris Gayle struck an unbeaten 175 off just 66 balls to help Bangalore beat Pune by a massive 130-run margin. Gayle reached his century off just 30 deliveries which, at the time, was four balls faster than the fastest hundred in limited-overs cricket, hit by Andrew Symonds for Kent against Middlesex in 2004.
- ENG vs AUS, World Cup 2023: Australia registers fifth consecutive win, knocks England out of tournament
- Premier League 2023-24 roundup: Brentford upsets West Ham, Sheffield ends winless run and Palace beats Burnley
- India beats Pakistan in penalty shootout, wins bronze at Sultan of Johor Cup 2023
- Women’s Asian Champions Trophy: India beats South Korea to book final clash with Japan
- ICC World Cup: Kohli gears up for ‘fireworks’ on birthday; De Kock makes himself scarce before India vs South Africa