After the first four matches, it looked like Rising Pune Supergiant, like last year, was heading towards a rock bottom finish. Then, it rose, quickly fixing its chinks, stabilizing its line-up, and winning games on the trot.
"I stayed relaxed throughout the first phase of the tournament,” said its skipper Steve Smith earlier. “I have enjoyed a lot. Now, we are on a winning run and have the chance to finish in the top-two.”
To finish there, Smith’s performance in the middle order and as skipper against Kings XI Punjab will be crucial. The leader heads the team’s top run-getters list and has steered the innings, mostly coming in at three.
If Smith is his team’s steerer, then Glenn Maxwell is his team’s rocket launcher. The latter’s cameos, from different positions, has often boosted KXIP’s totals. His brute strength, complemented by whacky strokes can make the opposition bleed unless its nipped off at the start.
- MLS: Two each for Messi and Suarez as Inter Miami hit five past Orlando
- F1 2024: Verstappen’s father says Red Bull will ‘explode’ if Horner stays
- La Liga: Vinicius scores 2 to earn Real Madrid draw in return to Valencia since racial abuse, Bellingham gets red
- NZ vs AUS, 1st Test: Lyon masterclass leads Australia to 172-run win against New Zealand
- Inter Miami 5-0 Orlando City HIGHLIGHTS, MLS: Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez help MIA thrash ORL