Top-order batters Kusal Mendis and Danushka Gunathilaka returned from their suspensions to make Sri Lanka’s 20-member squad for its limited-overs tour of Australia, the country’s cricket board said on Wednesday.
The duo, along with Niroshan Dickwella, were suspended last year for breaching the team’s bio-bubble anti-coronavirus protocols during their tour of England in July. Their suspensions were lifted earlier this month and Mendis and Gunathilaka were included in the Dasun Shanaka-led squad which will play five Twenty20 matches in Australia across three venues in Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne.
ALSO READ - Australian players nervous about Pakistan tour - report
According to a report in the Island newspaper, former paceman Lasith Malinga will join the squad as its fast bowling coach for the tour.
Sri Lanka is without a head coach since Mickey Arthur’s two-year stint ended last month, and the newspaper said Englishman Paul Farbrace would succeed him ahead of the team’s India tour in February-March.
Australia has rested opener David Warner and all-rounder Mitch Marsh from its 16-member squad for the Twenty20 series against Sri Lanka beginning on February 11.
- Dasun Shanaka (c), Charith Asalanka, Avishka Fernando, Pathum Nissanka, Danushka Gunathilaka, Kusal Mendis, Dinesh Chandimal, Chamika Karunaratne, Janith Liyanage, Kamil Mishara, Ramesh Mendis, Wanindu Hasaranga, Lahiru Kumara, Nuwan Thushara, Dushmantha Chameera, Binura Fernando, Maheesh Theekshana, Jeffrey Vandersay, Praveen Jayawickrama.
Latest on Sportstar
- Norway Chess: Gukesh holds Carlsen, moves to career-high live rating
- Indian sports news wrap, June 4
- Formula 1: Verstappen wins Spanish GP to continue Red Bull sweep
- Real Madrid vs Athletic Bilbao; La Liga LIVE: When and where to watch Benzema’s last game; Streaming Info; Predicted XI
- WTC Final 2023: Cameron Green hopes to bring in Rohit Sharma’s calmness in title clash