Match-fixing saga: ICC accuses broadcaster of non-cooperation

As match-fixing controversy rose its ugly head again, the International Cricket Council (ICC) claimed that the broadcaster, which aired the documentary on match-fixing on Sunday, has refused to cooperate and share information. That, the ICC claimed, has hampered the investigation to date.

ICC, however, has added that an investigation is underway.   -  Twitter @ICC

As match-fixing controversy rose its ugly head again, the International Cricket Council (ICC) claimed that the broadcaster, which aired the documentary on match-fixing on Sunday, has refused to cooperate and share information. That, the ICC claimed, has hampered the investigation to date.

In a statement, Alex Marshall, the General Manager, Anti-Corruption Unit at the ICC, said: “We have been in ongoing dialogue with the broadcaster which has refused our continual requests to cooperate and share information which has hampered our investigation to date. The content of the programme, is of course useful to the investigation, but I would now urge the production team to provide us with all un-edited and unseen evidence they are in possession of, to enable us to expedite a thorough investigation,” he said.

“Given this is a live investigation and one that is likely to be subject to the legal process, it is not possible to provide any further comment.

“Our Anti-Corruption Unit is committed to working to uphold integrity in cricket and would urge anyone with any information to contact us in strictest confidence via contactacu@icc-cricket.com.”

Marshall, however, added that an investigation is underway. “The ICC has now had the opportunity to view the documentary into corruption in cricket and as we have previously stated, we are taking the contents of the programme and the allegations it has made extremely seriously. A full investigation led by the ICC Anti-Corruption Unit, working with full cooperation from all Member countries identified in the programme, is now underway to examine each claim made.”

The BCCI, meanwhile, reacted cautiously, saying it would consider action against implicated former cricketer Robin Morris only if he is found guilty in an ongoing ICC probe.

The Pakistan Cricket Board too initiated investigations into a video in which Test player Hasan Raza is seen sitting with Morris.