Former Sri Lanka cricketer Sachithra Senanayake was arrested on Wednesday over match-fixing allegations.
He was arrested by the Sports Corruption Investigation Unit when he surrendered this morning. Three weeks ago, he was banned from travelling overseas by the court.
Senanayake was accused of trying to fix the games of the 2020 edition of the Lanka Premier League (LPL) where he had allegedly enticed two players to fix games.
The 38-year-old played a solitary Test, 49 ODIs, and 24 T20 internationals between 2012 and 2016.
The Colombo Chief Magistrate’s Court had ordered the Controller General of Immigration and Emigration to impose a travel ban which will be effective for a three-month period.
The Court was told that the Attorney General’s Department had been instructed by the Special Investigation Unit of the Sports Ministry to frame criminal charges against the former off-spinner.
- Premier League: Manchester City draws 4-4 against Chelsea after former player Palmer converts stoppage time penalty
- Chelsea vs Manchester City highlights, CHE 4-4 MCI, Premier League: Haaland scores double but Palmer converts stoppage time penalty
- IND vs NED, ODI World Cup: India wins big against Netherlands to finish league stage undefeated
- ODI World Cup: Wankhede tough for bowlers, IND will need early wickets against NZ: Kuldeep
- Lewandowski rescues Barca and ends drought with Alaves double