Fast bowler Sandeep Sharma wreaked havoc on Haryana and ensured career-best figures of 7 for 19 to help Punjab secure a three-wicket victory in the Vijay Hazare Trophy here on Sunday.
Sharma and Siddarth Kaul (3 for 29) ensured Haryana was bowled out for a paltry 49 in 16 overs. In reply, Punjab huffed and puffed, losing wickets at regular intervals, before getting home in the 16th over for the loss of seven wickets. Four of those wickets were taken by India leg-spinner Yuzvendra Chahal. Harshal Patel chipped in with two wickets. But Haryana’s total was too low for a victory charge.
Only two Haryana batsmen registered double-digit personal scores and as many as five were dismissed for a duck. Opener Nitin Saini top-scored with 22, while Sumit Kumar scored 13.
For Punjab, opener Abhishek Sharma scored an unbeaten 22, playing an anchor role to steer his team to victory, but none of the other batsmen registered double-digit personal scores. Four of them headed back to the pavilion without having opened their accounts.
- Haryana 49 in 16 overs (Sandeep Sharma 7 for 19, Siddarth Kaul 3 for 29) lost to Punjab 50 for 7 in 15.1 overs (Ajit Chahal 4 for 32) by three wickets.
- Manchester United vs Chelsea: Top five Premier League clashes
- ISL 2023-24: Mohun Bagan Super Giant looks to avenge AFC Cup loss against Odisha FC
- Mohun Bagan Super Giant vs Odisha FC LIVE streaming info, ISL 2023-24: When, where to watch; Preview
- WATCH: Bangladesh’s Mushfiqur Rahim out handling the ball in second Test against New Zealand
- Bangladesh vs New Zealand LIVE Score updates, 2nd Test Day 1: Latest scorecard, match streaming info