Former India fast bowler Sanjeev Sharma has been appointed as coach of the Vidarbha senior men’s team for the upcoming domestic cricket season.
Sharma was the coach of Jammu and Kashmir last season. In his earlier stints, he has worked with the teams in the Northeast, Delhi and has been an erstwhile chairman of the national junior selection committee.
Last season, Vidarbha was coached by Pritam Gandhe and this time, he has been appointed as the coach of the women’s team. “
Since last season was a curtailed domestic season, we had decided to go ahead with Pritam. That was the whole arrangement, and now that we will have a full season, we have decided to appoint someone who has more experience at that level,” Prashant Vaidya, the cricket administration and development committee chairman of the Vidarbha Cricket Association, told Sportstar.
Vidarbha won consecutive Ranji Trophy titles in 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons and followed it up with an Irani Cup title in 2018 under the guidance of the then coach Chandrakant Pandit. In 2020, Pandit parted ways with Vidarbha to take up the head coach role with Madhya Pradesh and eventually went on to guide the team to its maiden Ranji Trophy title this year.
While the VCA is yet to take a call on the guest players, it is confident of achieving success under the guidance of Sharma, who has featured in two Tests and 23 ODIs for India.
- New Zealand vs Pakistan Dream11 Prediction, ICC World Cup 2023: NZ vs PAK playing XI, fantasy team, squads
- New Zealand vs Pakistan LIVE streaming info, World Cup 2023: When and where to watch NZ vs PAK match?
- Paris Masters 2023: Dimitrov keeps late season form to beat Hurkacz and reach semifinals
- Tsitsipas sets up Dimitrov semifinal at Paris Masters 2023, beats Khachanov in quarterfinal
- Max Verstappen: Las Vegas GP ‘more for the show’