Virat Kohli's unbeaten 254 in the second Test against South Africa has put him within one rating point of top-ranked Steven Smith in the ICC rankings for Test batsmen. Kohli's tally is 936 points, while Smith sits on 937.
The India captain will have the opportunity to regain the top spot, when India faces South Africa in the third Test in Ranchi, starting October 19.
Other players who made significant strides included India opener Mayank Agarwal, who followed a double-century in the first Test with a century in the second to rise to a career-high 17th spot. Cheteshwar Pujara and Ajinkya Rahane, at fourth and ninth places respectively, are the other two Indian batsmen in the top 10.
Among the bowlers in action, R Ashwin moved from No. 10 to seventh, having snapped up six wickets in Pune. Umesh Yadav, making a comeback to the Test side, took six wickets and jumped six places to at 25th spot. Bumrah continued to remain third in the bowlers’ rankings.
- Al Shabab vs Al Nassr LIVE updates, SHB 2-2 NAS, Saudi Pro League: Carlos Junior scores Shabab equaliser
- Serie A 2023-24: Late Rugani goal gives Juventus 3-2 win over Frosinone
- Carabao Cup final, CHE vs LIV: Van Dijk nets extra-time winner as Liverpool beats Chelsea
- FIH Pro League 2023-24: India beats Ireland 4-0, ends Rourkela leg on a high
- WPL 2024: Gujarat Giants stumbles to five-wicket loss against Mumbai Indians in low-scoring encounter