AC Milan's bid to sign left-back Antonee Robinson from Wigan Athletic collapsed on Friday, the Championship club confirmed.
The Serie A giant allowed Ricardo Rodriguez to depart for PSV earlier in the week and looked to have identified a replacement in the form of United States international Robinson.
The 22-year-old, who joined Wigan from Everton last July following a successful loan spell, had appeared set to provide cover for Theo Hernandez. But Milan has instead recalled Diego Laxalt from a loan with Torino.
Wigan released a statement on Friday confirming Robinson was heading back to the DW Stadium after a hitch in the transfer.
Wigan said a fee was agreed - reportedly worth up to €11.9million (£10m) - and Robinson travelled to Milan earlier in the day, but the need for additional tests following a medical meant the deal could not be completed before the transfer deadline.
Milan had also been linked with a move for Matias Vina from Nacional in Uruguay, but he joined Palmeiras on Friday.
- NZ vs SL Dream11 Prediction, ICC World Cup 2023: New Zealand vs Sri Lanka predicted XI, fantasy team, squads
- Hockey India announces team for FIH Hockey Women’s Junior World Cup Chile 2023
- New Zealand vs Sri Lanka Live Score, World Cup 2023: Rain threat in Bengaluru; Lockie Ferguson fit, likely to play today
- IND vs NED, ODI World Cup 2023: Netherlands’ Ryan Klein ruled out against India, Noah Croes named as replacement
- Can New Zealand still reach World Cup 2023 semifinals if NZ vs SL in Bengaluru is washed out?