Eddie Nketiah struck a hat-trick as Arsenal beat League One club Sunderland 5-1 at the Emirates on Tuesday to book a place in the semifinals of the League Cup.
The 22-year-old put the Gunners ahead, against the third-tier club, pouncing from close range after Rob Holding's header from a corner was parried out by Sunderland keeper Lee Burge.
READ : 'Absurd' to play twice in four days given COVID, says Liverpool's Lijnders
Nicolas Pepe doubled the lead with a deflected shot after good work from Cedric Soares but Sunderland pulled a goal back with a nice finish from Nathan Broadhead, who lifted the ball over the advancing Bernd Leno.
Nketiah restored the two-goal advantage, clipping in a low ball from Nuno Tavares in the 49th minute and then produced a cheeky backheel finish to make it 4-1 after Pepe nutmegged Dener Hume and delivered a low cross.
A positive evening for Mikel Arteta's side was completed when 18-year-old substitute Charlie Patino, making his senior debut, converted another low cross from Pepe.
Latest on Sportstar
- India junior women’s hockey team aim to win maiden junior Asia Cup 2023
- ‘Robbery’ as organisers charge $680 to see Messi in China
- FA Cup: Haaland holds no fear for Man Utd, says Varane
- NBA Finals: Heat need to match Nuggets physicality, says Butler
- BCCI announces India ‘A’ squad for Emerging Women’s Asia Cup 2023