Eddie Nketiah struck a hat-trick as Arsenal beat League One club Sunderland 5-1 at the Emirates on Tuesday to book a place in the semifinals of the League Cup.
The 22-year-old put the Gunners ahead, against the third-tier club, pouncing from close range after Rob Holding's header from a corner was parried out by Sunderland keeper Lee Burge.
Nicolas Pepe doubled the lead with a deflected shot after good work from Cedric Soares but Sunderland pulled a goal back with a nice finish from Nathan Broadhead, who lifted the ball over the advancing Bernd Leno.
Nketiah restored the two-goal advantage, clipping in a low ball from Nuno Tavares in the 49th minute and then produced a cheeky backheel finish to make it 4-1 after Pepe nutmegged Dener Hume and delivered a low cross.
A positive evening for Mikel Arteta's side was completed when 18-year-old substitute Charlie Patino, making his senior debut, converted another low cross from Pepe.
- AUS vs PAK: Warner and Smith are heroes in my mind, says Khawaja
- South Africa squads for India series: Bavuma rested for ODI, T20Is; Markram to lead
- Junior Hockey World Cup 2023: India aims for a winning start, faces Korea in opener
- Indonesia expresses interest in hosting U-20 World Cup in 2025 with Singapore, says president Joko Widodo
- Hope reveals inspirational chat with Dhoni after guiding West Indies to thrilling win over England