Portuguese authorities raided the offices of soccer clubs Benfica, Sporting Lisbon and Santa Clara as part of an investigation into fraud, corruption and money laundering.
All three clubs confirmed the searches and said they were collaborating with authorities. Some homes and two law firms also were raided by authorities.
Part of the investigation is related to the transfer of players.
Sporting said in a statement the investigation is related to alleged irregularities from 2011-14. It congratulated authorities' efforts to promote transparency in Portuguese soccer.
Sporting leads the Portuguese league after seven matches. Benfica is third and Santa Clara eighth.
- IND vs ENG Live Score Updates, 4th Test Day 4: Jurel, Gill take India to five-wicket win
- WTC 2023-25 Points Table Update: India extends lead at 2nd place after IND vs ENG 4th Test
- Ranji Trophy Live Score, Day 4 Quarterfinal updates: MP beats Andhra by 4 runs; Prithvi Shaw falls for 87 vs Baroda
- PKL 10: Patna Pirates defender Krishan Dhull gears up for playoff challenge against Dabang Delhi
- Nike to release Australia women’s goalkeeper jersey after backlash