Deprived of European football, Liverpool and Chelsea are looking for domestic success this season. And that includes a trophy occasionally ignored by the bigger clubs — the English League Cup.
Liverpool has won this trophy a record eight times and plays second-tier Burton on Tuesday in the second-round match. Jurgen Klopp's team finished a disappointing eighth in the Premier League last season but made it to the League Cup final, losing on penalty kicks to Manchester City.
Liverpool is already showing inconsistency in the league this season. It roared back from a goal down to beat Arsenal 4-3 in a thrilling season-opener, before losing 2-0 against Burnley on Saturday.
With Sadio Mane still fighting a shoulder injury, Klopp is unlikely to make drastic changes, given the lack of European football to worry about.
"We will make changes but not big changes," the German said. "It is not really likely we change seven or eight positions."
With new manager Antonio Conte at the helm, Chelsea also has time to thrive in the League Cup which it last won in 2015 after finishing 10th in the league last season for one of its worst campaigns in recent history.
Chelsea plays third-tier Bristol Rovers at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday.
Unlike Klopp, Conte is likely to make changes to the side that beat Watford 2-1 on Saturday. Ruben Loftus-Cheek is expected to feature, along with Asmir Begovic adding experience.
Premier League teams Everton and Crysal Palace both face 4th-tier opposition in Yeovil and Blackpool respectively.
Stoke, beaten 4-1 by Man City in the league on Saturday, faces a trip to fourth-tier Stevenage.
Teams involved in the Champions League or Europa League enter the tournament in the third round.
- Ranji Trophy Live Score 2024 Quarterfinals Day 3 Updates: Saurashtra loses three vs TN; Solanki smashes century vs Mumbai
- India vs England Live Score Updates, 4th Test Day 3: ENG 120/5, leads by 166 runs at Tea; Kuldeep gets Stokes, Crawley
- Yathiraj, Pramod and Krishna win gold medals at Para Badminton World Championships
- Fighting knock from fighter’s son: Dhruv Jurel walks in footsteps of father, a Kargil War veteran
- Gopi Thonakal wins elite men’s race in New Delhi Marathon