Cristiano Ronaldo has confirmed his mother is "stable and recovering in hospital" following reports she suffered a stroke.
The Juventus forward did not train with the Serie A champions on Tuesday and was said to have returned to Madeira due to his mother falling ill.
Coach Maurizio Sarri confirmed Ronaldo could miss Wednesday's Coppa Italia semifinal second leg with Milan due to a "personal problem", but he did not offer any further information.
But Ronaldo has since addressed the situation on his official Twitter account, thanking fans for messages of support as he confirmed his mother is in hospital.
"Thank you for all your messages of support for my mum," Ronaldo's tweet read. "She is currently stable and recovering in hospital.
"Me and my family would like to thank the medical team looking after her, and kindly ask that we are all given some privacy at this time."
- WPL 2024: All-round show helps Delhi Capitals thrash UP Warriorz by nine wickets for season’s first win
- Hard work, determination and a bit of kismet: For RCB’s Asha Sobhana, WPL is just the start
- Indian sports wrap, February 26
- NBA: Clippers unveil new uniforms, logo for next season
- Bayern Munich signs Max Eberl as sporting director