Arsenal defender David Luiz has agreed to a contract extension for the 2020-21 season, the Premier League club said on Wednesday.
The 33-year-old Brazil centre-back joined Arsenal on a one-year contract from Chelsea last year. “David is a really important player for us,” Arsenal technical director Edu said. “He has played most of our matches this season and has been important for the team. His passing, his communication with the team on and off the pitch. He helps everyone.”
Luiz, whose contract was due to expire at the end of the month, took the blame for a 3-0 loss to Manchester City on June 17 when the Premier League resumed following the coronavirus stoppage. He gave away a penalty for taking down Riyad Mahrez and was sent off for it.
Arsenal also announced that defenders Pablo Mari and Cedric Soares have agreed to long-term contracts. Mari is on loan from Flamengo, and Soares is on loan from Southampton.
The north London club also said that midfielder Dani Ceballos has extended his loan from Real Madrid until the end of this season. “I am really happy that we will have these players in our squad for the future,” Edu said.
- PSG midfielder Fabian Ruiz picks up shoulder injury during 2-0 league win at Le Havre
- FC Goa vs Kerala Blasters FC, Highlights, FCG 1-0 KBFC ISL 2023-24: Rowllin Borges’ strike takes Gaurs to the top of the table
- India beats Australia in the 5th T20I and wins the series 4-1 as Arshdeep successfully defends in the final over
- Premier League: Fernandez double helps 10-man Chelsea to 3-2 win over Brighton
- India vs Australia highlights, 5th T20I: IND wins by 6 runs as Arshdeep defends 10 in the last over