Arsenal has appointed Edu Gaspar as its first-ever sporting director, the club announced on Friday.
The 44-year-old who was the club’s technical director has been promoted as sporting director and the Brazilian will oversee all the academy responsibilities.
“We are delighted to announce that Edu Gaspar has been appointed as Arsenal’s first-ever Sporting Director.Edu’s promotion sees him assume over-arching responsibility for all our Academy activities, in addition to his existing responsibilities across men’s and women’s football,” a statement from Arsenal read.
Chief Executive Vinai Venkatesham said, “We are delighted that Edu is recommitting his future to the Club that he so clearly loves, after making such a positive and critical contribution to our progress in his time with us so far.
“Edu’s promotion formalises his already growing influence over our Academy operations, and we look forward to Per and Edu working together to strengthen the integration between our men’s first-team and Academy yet further.”
Edu, who re-joined Arsenal as technical director from the Brazilian FA in the summer of 2019, said: “I’m delighted to have this new role which I see as an evolution and consolidation of the way we’ve been working. We are making good progress in all areas of our men’s, women’s and academy and we are all excited about what can be achieved.
“I look forward to building on the hard work of so many people and helping all of us grow together and enjoy more success, and am thankful for the trust the club has put in me. We move forward together.”
Latest on Sportstar
- Women’s Junior Asia Cup 2023: India thrashes Uzbekistan 22-0 in opener
- Formula 1: Mercedes still on the lookout for a return to glory days
- Two pole vaulters part of Asian U-20 Athletics C’ships team leave for Korea but their poles stuck at Delhi airport
- FA Cup Final, Manchester United vs Manchester City: Live streaming info, Predicted XI, Preview
- Manchester Utd still has progress to make in bid to restore former glory, says Ten Hag