Danny Drinkwater will return to Chelsea this month after making just two appearances for Burnley since joining on loan.
Clarets boss Sean Dyche confirmed at a news conference on Friday that the midfielder would be heading back to Stamford Bridge.
Drinkwater played just once in the Premier League for Burnley, in the 4-1 home defeat to Manchester City on December 3, having also started the 3-1 home loss to Sunderland in the EFL Cup in August.
The 29-year-old said it was "time to get my career back on track" when he signed a deal with Burnley that expires on January 6.
"It was a bit of a complicated time at Chelsea, but I see this as a positive move and I'm looking forward to getting going," he said.
However, Drinkwater struggled to break into Dyche's first-team plans and he suffered an ankle injury during an alleged altercation outside a Manchester nightclub in September, further curtailing his attempt to rejuvenate his career.
Drinkwater played only 23 times for Chelsea after joining for a reported £35million from Leicester City, having helped the Foxes to the Premier League title triumph in 2015-16.
There are reports Aston Villa could make an attempt to sign him on loan for the remainder of the season.
- Asia Cup 2023, Super 4: Kohli, Rahul, Kuldeep shine as India registers record win over Pakistan
- India vs Pakistan Reserve Day weather updates, Asia Cup Super 4: Play resumes after rain relents
- India vs Pakistan HIGHLIGHTS, Asia Cup Super 4 Reserve Day: IND beats PAK by 228 runs for record win; Kohli, Rahul, Kuldeep shine
- Why is Cristiano Ronaldo not playing in the Portugal vs Luxembourg EURO 2024 qualifier?
- ‘Maximum respect’ for Rubiales resignation: Spain coach De la Fuente