Wayne Rooney continued his return to form at Anfield on Sunday, striking 12 minutes from time to earn Manchester United a 1-0 win against fierce rivals Liverpool. It was Rooney’s first Premier League goal at Anfield for United since January 2005.
The strike, his 176th for Manchester United, took him past Thierry Henry (175 for Arsenal) for the most goals for a single club in Premier League history.
Liverpool's Emre Can in action with Manchester United's Ander Herrera. In the first half, Liverpool were the better team. The home side's best chance fell to Emre Can, whose low drive was saved by David de Gea's legs as chances began to flow.
Liverpool's Adam Lallana has a header saved by Manchester United's David De Gea. Roberto Firmino sent the rebound wide.
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp urged his side to be more clinical, describing the result "frustrating".
It was a big win for manager Van Gaal, who has faced heavy criticism over United's perceived negative style of play and inconsistency in the top flight this term. The Dutchman believes Sunday's victory at Anfield can re-ignite their Premier League title challenge.
- Mohun Bagan vs Jamshedpur FC highlights, MBSG 3-0 JFC, ISL 2023-24: Sadiku, Cummings, Petratos goals guide Mariners to comfortable win
- ISL 2023-24: Mohun Bagan Super Giant cruises to win against Jamshedpur FC
- German Open 2024: Jolly-Gayatri bows out of quarterfinals, loses to Chinese pair of Jing-Min
- WPL 2024: Grace Harris’ attacking fifty helps UP Warriorz ease past Gujarat Giants
- Ranji Trophy preview: Chandrakant Pandit eyes victory against former side as Vidarbha, Madhya Pradesh face off