Newcastle United has condemned racist abuse sent to Bruno Guimaraes and Joe Willock on social media following Saturday’s 1-0 victory over Arsenal in the Premier League.
“Our message is clear. There is no room for racism in football or society,” the club said on social media.
“We are providing support to Bruno and Joe and will work with relevant authorities and social media platforms to identify those responsible so that they can be held to account.”
Bruno escaped a booking for a late elbow on Arsenal midfielder Jorginho in a tense and fractious contest at St James’ Park.
Willock was involved in the controversial goal when the Englishman kept the ball in play near the corner flag, with VAR unable to determine whether the ball had gone out completely or not.
Anthony Gordon scored the winner after VAR also checked for a foul and offside to hand Arsenal its first league defeat of the season.
- WPL 2024: Asha’s five-wicket haul helps RCB defeat UP Warriorz in a thriller
- IND vs ENG, 4th Test: Bashir’s exploits, under Nostradamus Stokes, leave India in tatters
- Musheer Khan hits maiden double-century for Mumbai in Ranji Trophy quarterfinal against Baroda
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Anubhav, Kartikeya hand Madhya Pradesh first-innings lead against Andhra on Day 2
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Musheer Khan’s double-century puts Mumbai in strong position on Day 2