Two late goals by Vicky Lopez of Spain spoiled Japan’s party as the defending champion won the the quarterfinal 2-1 at the Pandit Jawaharlal Stadium in Margao, Goa on Saturday.
Spain lost a key chance to have its nose in front when Carla Camacho missed the penalty in the 37th minute after a foul by Toko Koga gifted it the spot kick.
In the second half, Japan exploited the chance when Momoko Tanikawa hit a stunner from long range to take the early lead.
But the defending champion Spain kept attacking on the counter and in the 87th minute, Vicky Lopez – following a melee in the penalty box – shot on target to make it all square.
Japan’s tired legs saw Lopez run them out in injury time as she scored the second in the dying minutes of second-half injury time. Spain will face Germany in the semifinals on October 26.
- BWF World Championships 2023: Lakshya Sen through to third round
- Mohun Bagan vs Abahani Dhaka Live Score, AFC Cup Playoff: MBSG 0 - 0 ALD; Match kicks off; Cummins has early shot on goal
- Praggnanandhaa vs Carlsen Final LIVE Updates, Chess World Cup 2023: Pragg still behind on clock against Carlsen; Abasov beats Caruana to take 1-0 lead
- Rinku Singh’s story is of hard work and perseverance: Abhishek Nayar
- Sportstar Open and MGC partnership has been win-win: MGC golf captain P. S. Jagdish