Netherlands passed the Italian test on Saturday as it made history with double headers in the second half. Vivianne Miedema and Stefanie van der Gragt scored from Sherida Spitse freekicks to progress to its first-ever World Cup semifinal. With the 2-0 victory, the Oranje also confirmed its first Olympic Games qualification.
Vivianne Miedema opened the account for Netherlands in the 70th minute. The header meant this was her third goal of the tournament, becoming the only Netherlands player to score three goals in a single edition. The goal took the 22-year-old's tally to 61 international goals.
Stefanie van der Gragt doubled the lead ten minutes later, with yet another header. This meant that eight of Netherlands’ ten goals at the 2019 Women's World Cup have arrived in the second half; only USA (13) have netted more.
Sherida Spitse, who was involved in both goals on Saturday in Valenciennes, became the player with more assists than any other Netherlands player in Women’s World Cup history (4), with all four of them coming via set-pieces.
The loss continued Italy's ill fate against European oppositions at the World Cup - La Azzure have never won against them, losing three and drawing once. Two of those losses have come in quarterfinal clashes (vs Netherlands, 2019 and Norway, 1991).
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally, September 27 - LIVE - Sift Kaur wins gold with WR in shooting; India wins gold, silver in shooting team event; Moves on 5th with 5 gold, 22 medals in total
- Asian Games 2023, September 27 Live Updates: Esha bags silver in 25m pistol, Samra wins 50m rifle 3p gold, Anant wins silver in men’s skeet; India 5th with 22 medals
- IND vs AUS live score 3rd ODI: Marsh, Warner attack in PowerPlay after Australia opts to bat vs India
- Table Tennis LIVE Score, Asian Games 2023: India Men’s Doubles R-64, Manav Thakkar and Manush Shah into deciding game
- Shooting LIVE Score Asian Games 2023: Anant wins silver in men’s skeet final; Sift wins gold with WR, India wins 25m women’s pistol team gold