New Zealand’s Hannah Wilkinson scored the first goal of the 2023 Women’s World Cup on Thursday as the co-host New Zealand beat Norway 1-0 for its first-ever World Cup win.
Striker Wilkinson turned in a low cross from Jacqui Hand three minutes into the second half at Eden Park to open the scoring in the Group A game with her third World Cup goal.
New Zealand’s Football Ferns had 15 unsuccessful attempts in five previous appearances at the finals before tonight.
- New Zealand vs Sri Lanka Live Score, World Cup 2023: NZ 63/0 (8); Conway, Ravindra off to flying start in 172 chase
- NZ vs SL: Rachin Ravindra breaks record for most runs in maiden World Cup edition
- PCB accepts chief selector Inzamam’s resignation as rift grows
- NZ vs SL: Rachin Ravindra breaks Sachin Tendulkar’s record of most runs in single edition of ODI World Cup before age 25
- AIFF Executive Committee renames Senior Nationals as FIFA Santosh Trophy, Infantino expected to attend final